I have been helping people around the world recover data from Hyper-V avhd chain disasters since 2009. I have helped people in a lot of countries and cities , some of which include.
People find me for help via the following forum posts.
- Snapshots are not for production servers. They are not backups.
- Never delete a snapshot in a chain.
- If you delete a snapshot via hyper-v console , wait for it to merge back into it’s parent.
- Use Microsoft DPM 2012 and hardware vss writers where possible.
- Never increase the capacity of a base vhd when it has a broken avhd chain.
- Some recommendations on vhd recovery are visible on my linkedin profile
- Windows Server 2012 will make it easier to recover from broken snaphot chains.